Photo From Kimberly Duran's Blog Site
Week 1: MAC Reading Post by Kimberly Duran (My response is below)
Copyright issues, and why ‘I’m’ scared!!
Wow, so plagiarism and copyright issues has become something of a topic on campus at my school. Trying to teach the children about these topics has become somewhat of a challenging task, and now that I've seen the copyright videos, I'm not sure whether I'm more or less comfortable with what I've shared with my students so far and how to continue on.
The duration of copyright was somewhat news to me, I've always wondered once something has been copyrighted, how long does this actually last for? This is a question that I actually have been asked by my students, so it's nice to have a definitive answer now.
It seemed to me at first that there was a lot of elasticity to the whole idea of fair use. However, after hearing our instructor's explanation of it and it's "narrow loophole" i began to understand it much better. The use of the cartoon movie to explain it was extremely helpful, once I was halfway through it I felt as though I really had a grasp on the concept. Creative ways to teach these types of ideas makes all the difference in the world to me. And who doesn't love Disney movies?!?
Creative Commons was taught to me early on in this degree program. I guess I have used it in the past, but never realized that there was actually a name behind the practice. I think it's a great way to be able use materials and also pay homage to the person who created it through giving them credit.
My Response:
My Response:
Hi Kimberly!
Your students are very lucky to have you as their instructor!! Thank you for sharing and going over the details of copyright$. Have them all say $200 per hour and in some cases $500 per hour for entertainment attorneys fees. Copyrights matter, especially when it comes to recognition and money. I agree with you regarding the Creative Commons explanations in this activity. That was very valuable information that I will use with more confidence now. There is so much fine print in all these legal clauses. I was glad to hear the explanation of how the creators of the copyright video got away with using Disney movies! That was incredible creativity. Even my children stopped playing video games to see that video. I’m sure they watched it because of the ingenuity and not because it happened to have pieces of all of all their ‘favorite’ movies! I would like to have been a fly on the wall in the Disney boardroom when that video was discovered. I wonder what they said? Hey, after graduation we will be creating big projects like this!!

No comments:
Post a Comment